Wednesday, October 7, 2009

worse than childbirth

This whole foster to adopt thing is worse than childbirth. Granted, all my children were born via c-section. BUT, I did go into labor with all except one. One or two almost tried to come out naturally and we almost didn't get the c-section done in time. Scary, scary.

The benefit of childbirth though, is that you basically know what you're up against, and what to expect. Who writes books on doing foster care?! If I had known what we'd be up against, as a family and personally, would I have strongly encouraged Andy to get licensed for foster care with me? Would I have gotten licensed myself? I'm not too sure I would have.

This isn't a case though, where we can just hand a child back and say "Here, take him/her. Put them in another home because we've had it." This is a child who has only known our home. We've bonded with him/her. We can't let him/her be bounced to different homes just because of some hiccups we're being forced to deal with. Our perceived limits grow each day for that reason.

We don't know what to expect for contractions in this labor. We do know that this child who is not ours legally, is a very real part of our family. So I guess this labor will go on and on, until the birth of adoption eventually happens. There's no guarantee of even that, but we have to hold on to something.

I guess what I'm saying is, is that there better be an epidural or spinal block in all this labor, because I'm tired of the contractions!

p.s. The visit we had this morning went well, nice person to deal with, and hopefully that will be the end of that (nothing against the visitor themself, just the situation). If not, now I know not to get too comfortable and to keep up the shield.

1 comment:

Bethany said...

Having a child is never easy - whether it be through labor, c-section, or adoption. I imagine that just like with a pregnancy, many things can go wrong in adoption as well. Getting pregnant doesn't guarantee a child sadly, just as foster to adopt doesn't. Both are scary and have uncertainties.

I will pray though that your contractions ease up and you can enjoy your new baby SOON!

We have really wanted to adopt through the foster system, since before we even met your family. However, its making me think twice! I've been researching international adoption more lately, as perhaps there aren't as many of the uncertainties and icky people to deal with. :(

*many hugs* to you and your family! Keep your head up...its ALLL going to be worth it. :)