Sunday, August 24, 2014

2014 Epic Road Trip -- July 24

July 24 is Pioneer Day.
In Utah, that means businesses are closed, parades, and celebrations all over the state.
I forgot about that when planning our trip, or we would have stayed in Utah for some of the celebrations.


Rest stop with cool landscaping.
I was just starting to realize how different natural beauty can be!
 At this rest stop, the maintenance lady let Anthony blow leaves or needles or whatever.
He LOVED it!
Just another example of Anthony touching random people.
 Vernal, Utah Temple



Preying Mantis on the wall 
 I loved how unique but still pretty this temple was.
I think the materials used were created from clay/rock/soil from the area.
The sign out front had round globe-type designs on the corners.
The were so smooth, and just felt right in the hot, blazing sun.
 Anthony was tired of being contained in his car seat.
So he had to climb all over Josh...
 Everyone was wearing navy blue somehow!

This was the Pioneer Museum behind the temple.


 rest stop
 Lilly and Anthony

COLORADO
 Josh commented on this sign that I didn't see originally, so I turned around and we all had a great laugh.
 We used air conditioning because it was so hot.
What we didn't realize is that you can't use a/c while climbing a very high mountain.
We stopped at a small, primitive rest stop and noticed a smell coming from the engine, in addition to seeing some reddish liquid outside the hood.
Andy saw that the coolant was empty, so he added water to that and we were able to hobble the remaining 20 miles to the "city" we planned to stay at that night.
 primitive rest stop
Everyone who went to the bathroom here could feel the ground shake when inside...


 He ate something sticky, but I don't remember what!



When we arrived in Hot Sulphur Springs, we went to the campground that I had found online.
There weren't any sites with water or electricity, let alone laundry!
Knowing we didn't have our normal resources with a smoking car, we drove around town and found one small motel to stay at.
The had one room available.  They were apologetic that it was so expensive, but it really wasn't!
And, it had two rooms, plus microwave and refrigerator.
So nice.

In Hot Sulphur Springs, we had wifi at the motel, but no cell service because AT&T doesn't work there...


 Across from our motel.
I saw this view quite often that night and the next day.
That night, Anthony's face changed color to being more gray.
I checked his oxygen level and was shocked at how low it was.
I was on the phone with Seattle Children's at midnight in the parking lot by the fence below, trying to talk to a cardiologist about Anthony.
We decided, with the cardiologist, to see how Anthony did and call an ambulance if he went below 70% oxygen.
In an ideal setting, Anthony would be receiving oxygen if he even went as low as 85%.
We couldn't drive anywhere with our broken car.
There wasn't a local hospital.
We didn't have cell service.
There was no phone in our room.
It was a perfect storm, and I worried more that night than I have in the past 3 years.

Anthony's oxygen went as low as 76% while sleeping. 
I decided if he went below that, I'd call an ambulance.


We stayed in the Ute Trail Motel .  More details on the next day's post.

No comments: